Cancer Care Coordinators/Patient Liaison Nurses are people who may be available in your region to support you with navigating the medical system. Ask your GP or local community health team about whether there is someone like this in your local area. Alternatively, the following list (which is not exhaustive) may help.
- Broken Hill Greater Western Area Health Service, phone (08) 8080 1183 or 0427 064 367 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mount Gambier South East Regional Community Health, phone (08) 8721 1460 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Port Pirie Country Health SA Local Health Network, phone 08 8638 4705 or email email@example.com
- Victor Harbor South Coast District Hospital, phone (08) 8552 0500 or 0429 551 076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wallaroo Hospital, phone (08) 8823 0215 or email email@example.com
- Whyalla Hospital and Health Service, phone (08) 86488683 or 0467 710 624 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
McGrath Breast Care Nurses assist women and families affected by breast cancer with information, clinical care, advocacy, support, travel-related issues, referral to other health professionals and provide wig and prosthesis advice. In some regions the McGrath Breast Care Nurse coordinates breast cancer support groups and other activities promoting health and well-being. They are located in the following rural South Australian locations:
- Barossa (including Gawler, Angaston, Kapunda, Nurioopta, Tanunda, Two Wells, Virginia, Williamstown) based at Inner North Community Health Service. Contact Deb Hayes, phone 0427 9987 67 or (08) 8521 2147 or email Deborah.Hayes@health.sa.gov.au
- Barmera & Berri (also covering Loxton, Waikerie, Renmark, Paringa, Blanchetown, Morgan, Cadell) based at Riverland Regional Health Service/Barmera Hospital. Contact Rebecca Semmens, phone (08) 8588 0434 or email Rebecca.Semmens@health.sa.gov.au
- Broken Hill based at Broken Hill RFDS. Contact Jo Beven, phone 0408 999 253 or email Jo.Beven@rfdsse.org.au
- Mount Barker (also covering Strathalbyn, Milang, Stirling, Woodside, Lobethal, Mount Pleasant, Hermitage) based at Adelaide Hills Community Health Service. Contact Kylie Campbell, phone (08) 8393 1833 or email Kylie.Campbell@health.sa.gov.au
- Mt Gambier (also covering Naracoorte, Penola, Keith, Bordertown, Kingston, Robe, Millicent) based at South East Regional Community Health. Contact Margaret Atwell, phone (08) 8721 1460 or 0417 169 853 or email Margaret.Atwell@health.sa.gov.au
- Murray Bridge (also covering Meningie, Tailem Bend, Karoonda, Lameroo, Pinnaroo, Mannum) based at Murray Mallee Community Health Service. Contact Kylie Campbell, phone (08) 8535 6800 or email Kylie.Campbell@health.sa.gov.au
- Port Augusta (also covering Quorn, Hawker, Leigh Creek, Roxby Downs, Woomera, Wilmington, Coober Pedy) based at Port Augusta & Regional Health Services. Contact Judith Finlay, phone (08) 8668 7800 or email email@example.com
- Port Lincoln (also covering Tumby Bay, Cummins, Elliston, Wudinna, Streaky Bay, Ceduna) based at Port Lincoln Health Service. Contact Helen Hookings, phone (08) 8683 2269 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Port Pirie (also covering Crystal Brook, Laura, Gladstone, Jamestown, Peterborough, Booleroo, Orroroo, Port Broughton) based at Port Pirie Regional Health Service. Contact Ros Mayfield, phone (08) 8638 4655 or email email@example.com
- Victor Harbor (also covering Yankalilla, Myponga, Delamere, Goolwa, Mt Compass, Pt Elliot, Middleton, Kangaroo Island) based at Southern Fleurieu Health Service. Contact Cheryl Baxter, phone (08) 8552 0600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wallaroo (also covering Burra, Clare, Snowtown, Balaklava, Riverton, Maitland, Minlaton, Yorketown) based at Wallaroo Community Health/ Yorke & Lower North Health Services. Contact Sue Bird, phone (08) 8823 0388 or 0409 693 584 or email email@example.com
- Whyalla (also covering Kimba, Cowell, Cleve) based at Whyalla Hospital & Health Service. Contact Lisa Freund, phone (08) 8648 8635 or 0427 180 655 or email Lisa.Freund@health.sa.gov.au
Rural liaison nurses are registered nurses who work within metropolitan hospitals in partnership with the ward staff to assist you with issues such as accommodation and transport before and during your treatment. They can also help to make arrangements for you when you return home to your rural community and are available on weekdays between 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday. Feel free to ring them if you have any questions before, during or after your visit to the following public hospitals.
- Royal Adelaide Hospital, phone (08) 8222 4000 pagers 1331 or 1551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, phone (08) 8222 6000 pager 6824
- Lyell McEwin Hospital, phone (08) 8182 9083 or 0401 671 433. Here they are known as the ‘Home Link Coordinators – medical and rural’. Over the weekend, please phone 0401 692 646 between 8:00am to 3:30pm.
- Flinders Medical Centre, phone (08) 8201 7835 or 0435 659 542
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital, phone (08) 8161 6331 or 0434 605 921 or email email@example.com
To find other services near you, click here.